How to Backup and Restore Windows Phone
Microsoft does not provide any official solution which allows you to backup and restore Windows Phone ( WP7 / WP 7.5 Mango ) device. But good thing is because of support from XDA-Forums member, MarcHoover has developed a custom tool which allows you to backup and restore your Windows Phone.
How these tool basically works?
Zune only takes backup when a new update is available. So in case the update fails, it can use the backup to restore your phone. This custom tool makes Zune think that there is an update available and forces it to take a backup. Same thing happens when it comes to restoring. So everything is getting done by Zune we are just making it think different.
The WP7 Easy Backup Tool By MarcHoover
The WP7 Easy Backup Tool allows WP7 users to create or restore a backup on the easy way and without hacking skills. The tools wraps the Windows Phone Support Tools to create or restore updates, that means backups are 100% Zune compatible.
This software is still in development, but there is already an stable version. This tool is a complete solution and very easy to use because it comes with one package. All you need is run the Wp7EasyBackup.exe and choose backup.
- Successful tested on:
- HTC HD7 (original HTC ROM)
- HTC HD2 (Back to the Future ROM, xmb Rom 7740.16)
- HTC 7 Mozart
- HTC Arrive
- HTC Titan
- Samsung Focus i917
- Dell Venue Pro
- Samsung Omnia 7 (I8700)
- Nokia Lumia 800
- Samsung Focus S
- The backup process could take up to 1 hour depending on your device.
- IF YOU STUCK DURING THE BACKUP PROCESS IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO HARDRESET. REMOVE YOUR BATTERY AND BOOT NORMAL.
- You will also get a message from phone that update was unsuccessful, just ignore it.
- Backup files you will find in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Phone Update such as this folder name d4e21648 - xxxxxx - xxxxxx - xxxxxxx.
- Then launch Zune > Phone Settings > Update and check if you have option from their to restore
- You can very well restore using zune, no hamr done but if you prefer this application, then choose Backup Option.
- Your phone will reboot and get into update mode and just restore your phone using the last update.